December 16, 2010
October 15, 2010
- New, active Distributed Human project: Phylo asks participants to play a short, fun online game to find matches among DNA sequences of various species. The project hopes to trace the source of various human genetic diseases such as breast cancer and epilepsy.
- New, active Distributed Human project: The Space Game asks participants to play an online game to design better interplanetary trajectories. By observing the way participants play, scientists can design better computer algorithms to design trajectories.
- Folding@home celebrated its tenth anniversary on October 1
- Project Gutenberg celebrated its tenth anniversary on October 4
- news article: EC funds grid computing project: The European Commission has announced that it will provide 25 million Euros of funding to a pan-European grid computing project
September 10, 2010
July 30, 2010
- New, active Game project: Online Life-Like CA Soup Search is cataloguing stable patterns in Conway's Game of Life simulations
- Distributed Particle Accelerator Design reached the 20 quadrillion particle time-step milestone on July 16. That is the amount of work necessary to simulate a particle for 55 hours, 33 minutes and 20 seconds.
- On July 11, GIMPS completed double-checking on M(20996011) and verified it's the 40th known Mersenne prime
- XYYXF set an SNFS record, completing the factorization of the 242-digit cofactor 125^86 + 86^125. Also, the project completed the factorization of all numbers through x = 105 as of June 30.
- SIGPS ended recently and the project website is no longer available. No information is available about the ending of the project.
- 12121 Search ended recently and the project website is no longer available. No information is available about the ending of the project.
- 2721 Search ended recently and the project website is no longer available. No information is available about the ending of the project.
- The sixth annual BOINC Workshop will be held in London, England, from August 31 through September 1, 2010
- news article: 20 Quadrillion Muons--Muon1 hits milestone; the Distributed Particle Accelerator Design project recently hit an important milestone
- news article: Higley schools pull space-search software from 5,000 computers; BOINC software allegedly installed by an IT person on thousands of school district computers was removed by the school district at an estimated cost of US$1 million
July 16, 2010
July 2, 2010
- Enigma@Home decrypted message KEJNQ on May 6, 2010. The message is one of 22 previously unbroken German Army messages.
- On June 27, Folding@home published a paper, "Atomic-Resolution Simulations Predict a Transition State for Vesicle Fusion Defined by Contact of a Few Lipid Tails," describing the project's "work on the mechanism for vesicle fusion," an important part of the process in which a virus infects a cell. Learning about this mechanism will help scientists better understand how the influenza virus enters cells.
- The Clean Energy Project Phase 2 began on June 28. A Linux client is now available for the project.
- fightAIDS@home began Experiment 33 on June 3. This is the first experiment to find drugs which target the HIV integrase system, specifically the drug-resistant E92Q/N155H mutant strain of HIV-1 integrase.
- World Community Grid's Help Fight Childhood Cancer project completed its first three drug targets on June 10, faster than expected. It will begin research on two additional targets in the next few months.
- Rosetta@home had an article accepted to be published by Science magazine and another article accepted to be published by Nature magazine. The Science article describes "de novo design of a new enzyme which catalyzes the formation of two carbon-carbon bonds between two small molecules." This process "could provide new routes to drug molecules which can be hard to synthesize using traditional methods." The Nature article is for the FoldIt project, which was designed by Rosetta@home participants. Also, the project is participating in the CASP9 experiment between May 10 and August 20.
- news article: Launch of The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2; an overview of the second phase of World Community Grid's The Clean Energy Project
- news article: NASA Needs You: 6 Ways to Help an Astronomer; an overview of six Distributed Human projects
- news article: Your computer at the service of science, exclusive interview to the director of seti@home and BOINC: David P. Anderson