Info on DNS Problems for RieselSieve

Moderators: Jwb52z, CedricVonck, kpearson

Info on DNS Problems for RieselSieve

Postby bryan-RS » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:22 am

In case anyone out there was wondering why they can't get to anything RieselSieve, I sincerely apologize. Our DNS was poisoned, and we're working with Godaddy and our DNS providers to correct this problem. It's definitely taking longer than we'd like (and thought), and are trying to find was (backup domains, etc) to avoid such a big outage in the future. What I'm trying to do right now is post on the big websites information for any users that may be wondering what to do:

Another update, before Lee arrives home from work. We're still running on those no-ip servers:

Main Website (Including Forums): http://rieselsieve.redirectme.net
Stats Website: http://llrnet.redirectme.net

LLRNet Main Server: llrnet.redirectme.net, port 7000, or use 216.196.211.194 UPDATED 12/6 6:00pm EST
LLRNet Double Check Server: dc-llrnet.redirectme.net, port 7000 or use 24.210.29.64

Updates will follow as we get information from Godaddy. A big thanks to everyone for their patience.

MOD: If possible, could this please get moved to the "New News" Forum? Thanks a bunch!
Bryan
Stats Administrator
RieselSieve Project
bryan-RS

Postby bryan-RS » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:33 am

Sorry, looks like another IP refresh. Here's the new ip's:

216.68.186.52 rieselsieve.com
216.68.186.52 llrnet.rieselsieve.com
24.210.29.64 dc.rieselsieve.com

Godaddy initially blamed our problems on our DNS provider. When Lee finally convinced them that REGISTRAR-HOLD kept us out of the Verisign Root File, (therefore removing us from the Internet), they apologized and agreed that it was their fault. As of this afternoon, they had started to process the change, removing the hold, and beginning the propogation process - since it had not really started yet, we're still talking up to 36-48 hours before this mess is fixed. Obviously, since the nameservers are live, we're hoping for a much faster turnaround.

I will say we've already started a discussion about how to avoid this problem from occuring again. One thing that I am pushing for (and had been a previous idea) is to have built-in failover servers in the llrnet client. This, of course, needs to be programmed. Any assistance with LUA programming would be greatly appreciated, if anyone can help I'm going to try to look into this myself.

Another thing will be changing Lee to a static connection in January. He's working that out with his ISP, and we're looking forward to the change. One more change is the possibility of registering a mirror domain (i.e, rieselsieve.net) and having the DNS go through another provider. This, of course, would only be useful if the failover server I mentioned above is worked out. Also, team proxies are on the horizon - I've found the code that sets up how a proxy is handled, now I just have to figure out how to communicate the user info individually. It's going to take some time.

Thanks for everyone's support and watchful eyes during this difficult time. Hopefully this clears out any problems that we would have faced in 2006....and beyond. Hold on - just a little more time till we're back.

Bryan
Stats Administrator
RieselSieve Project
Bryan
Stats Administrator
RieselSieve Project
bryan-RS

Postby bryan-RS » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:24 pm

New IP's again. Godaddy has communicated with Internic, and hopefully this gets flushed out soon.

216.196.208.201 rieselsieve.com
216.196.208.201 llrnet.rieselsieve.com

Bryan
Bryan
Stats Administrator
RieselSieve Project
bryan-RS

Postby bryan-RS » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:33 pm

Well, I finally have some good news. Our Zone File has been created at the root nameservers. This means that we're going to be out of the woods soon. We just have to wait for the ip's to propogate through - and all will be back on line. I know right now the dynamic IP doesn't seem to have updated, so some servers are resolving rieselsieve.com incorrectly. One more HOSTS file update, and then we'll be able to use regular DNS around midnight EST (5:00 GMT). Thanks again everyone!

216.196.209.194 rieselsieve.com
216.196.209.194 llrnet.rieselsieve.com

Bryan
Bryan
Stats Administrator
RieselSieve Project
bryan-RS

Postby bryan-RS » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:13 am

As of about 11 pm EST, DNS was restored. Everything is back up and running over at Rieselsieve. Thanks again to everyone for working through this with us.

Bryan
Bryan
Stats Administrator
RieselSieve Project
bryan-RS

Return to Mathematics