What impact would DC have on Virtual Reality...

How is distributed computing being used for entertainment? How could it change or improve entertainment?

Moderators: Jwb52z, kpearson

What impact would DC have on Virtual Reality...

Postby Technocrat » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:27 am

Will distributed computing enable VR MMOGs?

I really don't know a whole lot about it but it seems to me that DC would enable far better game AI and much faster graphics rendering...am I wrong to think that? The only obstacle I can see is maybe the lag time...the magic number for VR is, I think, 12 ms., any more than that causes cybersickness.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
Technocrat

Not any time soon

Postby mozart » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:24 am

The way most of the projects are now, I would say no.

The central servers of distributed computing projects have to have the work units prepared ahead of time before they hand it out to the clients. I could not see work being prepared ahead of time in a gaming environment since the next steps in games depend on what the character does in the previous step.

Good distributed computing projects are problems that are easily split into small chunks before hand. If a chunk does not get returned, for any number of reasons, it needs to be able to be sent from the server again and returned later. In a game, this may not be possible and less possible to do in "real-time".
________
Ford do Brasil history
Last edited by mozart on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mozart

Re: What impact would DC have on Virtual Reality...

Postby kpearson » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:25 pm

Technocrat wrote:Will distributed computing enable VR MMOGs?

I really don't know a whole lot about it but it seems to me that DC would enable far better game AI and much faster graphics rendering...am I wrong to think that? The only obstacle I can see is maybe the lag time...the magic number for VR is, I think, 12 ms., any more than that causes cybersickness.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

I agree that real-time graphics rendering or compute-intensive processing wouldn't work well in a MMOG. A typical PC is already almost maxed out with running the game software and rendering the game scenery locally for its user. And any processing results that it did have time to computer would have to be sent very quickly over the network.

I could see DC being useful for MMOGs (or other games) for rendering new objects, scenes and environments for future use, or perhaps for animating cut-scenes for games which use them. For example, all users of an MMOG could help render all of the views for a complex new object which will be available to all users of the game in the future, or all users of a game could help render a new area of the game that will be available to all users to explore in the future. And the DC could be done when the game software is running and when it has extra computing cycles available.
kpearson
Site Admin

Return to Entertainment