MilkyWay@Home Project News

News and project updates which haven't been added to distributedcomputing.info yet.

Moderators: Jwb52z, CedricVonck, kpearson, Honza, Lupine1647

MilkyWay@Home Project News

Postby Jwb52z » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:50 am

October 7, 2007 Version 1.06: MilkyWay@home works on Windows!
I just released version 1.06 of the application, and this will now run on windows unlike before. In addition to working on windows, it also correctly handles checkpointing. This means it won't crash if you suspend it and resume it later. The only platform that has yet to upgrade to 1.06 is mac, but that should be up tomorrow. Now everyone should be able to get some credits. I'll do my best to get some work up on the server real soon, and we should be working on some real problems really soon!

October 4, 2007 Project Definition
I just wanted to let everyone know that we've got one of the project scientists checking out the boards for now, and he has posted what exactly our project is doing. You can check it out in the MilkyWay@home Science message board. I'll try to prod them into making a web page with all that info on there so I can put a link to it on the main page, but at least for now you can check that out to get an idea of what we are doing.

October 3, 2007 Major Updates
I've got all the error and warning messages I see fixed on the web page, and I've submitted new versions of the software to the server also. In addition I added some mac binaries, so if you have a mac you should be able to compute some stuff for us now. I've fixed the errors that have to do with CPU usage and disk usage, and the run time should be much better for the application. There still seems to be a bug in the Windows version of the application; something to do with BOINC thinking there is a memory leak, and the app will continue running after 100%. In response to some of the requests of the users. I believe the RSS feed is working now, so you should try it out. You should be able to attatch to the project now, you should be able to use either http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/ or http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/. I'm gonna try to get an automated system up in the next week or two, which means I'll have some real work up there, and it will probably last more than 3 minutes. Those workunits were only meant for tests. Once that is done, I'll release a new version of the app and we should be good to go!

October 2, 2007 The Forums are Working... Sort of
It looks like the message boards are at least functional. There are still some errors to be fixed, but at least they are useable. This means I can start getting some feedback from you guys! Also, I found the bug in the code, so if you have gotten work and it ran really slowly and caused your computer to do some strange things I should be able to fix those very soon.
Jwb52z

Return to New News