Web page for pimping projects?

Moderators: Jwb52z, kpearson

Web page for pimping projects?

Postby jasong » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:41 pm

There are a lot of projects that have a ton of users, but may or may not be considered worthwhile, and there are projects that get very few users that could be very useful.

I think it would be great if there were a web page where people could rate projects on how much they need, or deserve, users. It would basically have a rating system from 1 to 100, with 10 meaning the project has the perfect number of users. Basically the numbers 1 through 100 would complete the equation x/10. So if 1 was selected as a number for a project, that would mean the voter thought the project deserved 1/10th the amount of power it had, and if a user gave a project a score of 100, that would mean they thought it deserved 10 times the power it possessed. Alternately, if anyone was confused by the use of algebra, they could choose to see the number of computers involved in a project and state how many they thought the project actually deserved.

Ultimately, I'd like to achieve a better balance for various projects. A person might not be crunching a project, but may sign up immediately if they realize it's got good people on it and could use extra power.
jasong

Re: Web page for pimping projects?

Postby kpearson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:25 pm

jasong wrote:I think it would be great if there were a web page where people could rate projects on how much they need, or deserve, users.

Great idea! Why don't you start that website? You could set it up as a static site or wiki at first, and volunteers could help you automate it.

Some other ideas: show trends in CPU contributions, so people can see which projects are gaining or losing CPU time. show how close (percentage-wise and time-wise) certain projects are to their goals. People might be willing to switch projects temporarily to help one project reach its goal sooner.
kpearson
Site Admin

Postby jasong » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Okay, in that case I need to do research on hosting services.
jasong

Postby Vladimir » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:04 am

Well, the topic is too old, but I think, that the solution of this problem is to start a webring, where projects can exchange with traffic/hits/hosts.
--
Vladimir V. Ignatyev, RU

Vladimir

Return to BOINC